Opened: 17th February 2006 Updated 4 January
Rapid growth in Birkenhead's population made it necessary
for the provision of a municipal cemetery. Originally planned in the 1840s,
Joseph Paxton was approached for a design. Due to the recession and subsequent
decrease in population the plan went no further. By the 1860s a boom made a
municipal cemetery a priority. A competition was held for the design which
Edward Kemp, Curator of Birkenhead Park won. The site chosen was Flaybrick Hill,
a prominent location outside of Birkenhead overlooked by Bidston Hill. 16.5
acres were purchased but this was extended to 26 acres in the 1890s. Kemp was
assisted by Edward Mills, a prominent Birkenhead surveyor from Hamilton Square,
and Messrs Lucy and Littler, architects of Liverpool. The general contractor was
William Rimmer of Bidston Hall, with John Miller of St. Helens the contractor
The cemetery was officially opened 30th May 1864 and named
Birkenhead Cemetery. Three Chapels were provided. The Roman Catholic Chapel was
demolished in 1971 and a Memorial Wall erected on its site. The two other
Chapels for the Non-conformists and the Church of England were last used in
1975. The Registrar's office and Sexton's Lodge are now in private hands.
the Friends of Flaybrick release a dvd which tells the
story of Birkenhead and explains how plans for the cemetery caused riots in the
town. The dvd also brings to life the drama of the Loc Ah Tam murders and the
Vittoria Dock Disaster. Of particular interest to local history buffs will be
the interview with Pastor Robb Jeffs, who tells the story of the remarkable
Charles Thompson Children’s Mission. The dvd shows the Friends at work in
Flaybrick on the MI Project and outlines their plans for a new free leisure
facility for Birkenhead – the £2 million Flaybrick Bat Study Centre. The dvd
also tells how the Friends managed to bring the AGM of the Association of
Significant Cemeteries in Europe to Birkenhead – the first time it has been
hosted in the UK.
The Friends have made the dvd themselves, directed by
Angus Tilston, who has been with the Friends for over 10 years. Angus is also
the founder of Swan Movie Makers who are the dvd’s producers. Over 30 hours of
filming were required to make the 51 minute dvd and the project took over a year
to complete. The dvd, which contains specially composed music by Martin Pleass,
is available at £5 to society members, but you will need to forward a prepaid
envelope. Apply to John Moffat, 76 St Johns Road, Eastham, Wirral CH62 OBW. Tel.
no. 0151 512 3676. £10 to public, £5 to members.
With many mature trees and shrubs, Flaybrick supports a
wide variety of wildlife. As well as the various Finches and Tits etc. the
Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, Sparrowhawk and Great Spotted Woodpecker can also be
seen. The familiar Grey Squirrel is the only mammal likely to be seen in the
daytime but Voles, Fieldmice, Hedgehogs, Foxes and Bats are all present. The
many species of wildflowers which are now left uncut have attracted even more
colourful and interesting butterflies and insects. Lichens have found the
various headstone materials very much to their liking, making them easily
February 16th 2006:
Following on from a successful visit to the Farm two weeks ago, I returned To Tam O'Shanters on February 16th along
with my wife Sue, and my daughter Lorna. Here we enjoy the excellent
food in the cafe on the Farm. Then with Genevieve & Mark, we went on a
tour of Flaybrick Cemetery, across the road from the Farm.
||Isaac Roberts. This is the base of image 54. Its a
remarkable piece of sculpture in that its Egyptian in design, beautifully
carved with mummified cats along the top (see 53 below). Reading down the
centre of this image is "Heaven within us is" - if you translated this
into the words of a 60s popular song "We are star dust"...... We are the
heavens, we are everything and everything is within us = atoms.
Born on January 27th 1829, he died in 1904 on July
17th. A businessman from Liverpool. As an amateur astronomer, he became a
pioneer in astrophotography. With his self-built 20-inch aperture
silver-on glass mirror telescope of 8 feet focal length, he took
photographic plates of the sky, intending to create photographic star
charts, starting in 1885. In 1886, he took the first good photographs of
the Orion Nebula M42
and the Pleiades M45
from Maghull, Lancashire. Then he moved to more southern Crowborough,
Sussex and specialized on photographing star clusters and nebulae. In
1888, he obtained a photograph of the
Andromeda Nebula M31,
well showing its spiral structure. Roberts believed that M31 and other
spiral "nebulae" were solar systems in formation, with the satellite
galaxies M32 and M110 being planets in formation. Isaac Roberts published
his photographes in three volumes of a series, Photographs of Stars,
Star Clusters and Nebulae. The first volume was published in 1893, the
second in 1899, and the third one posthumously by his widow in 1928.
According to Kenneth Glyn Jones, his 20-inch reflector
is now in the Science Museum in South Kensington, London (England).
The importance of Isaac Roberts's work was
recognised internationally. He was honoured by being being elected a
Fellow of the Royal Society, the highly prestigious national academy of
sciences of Britain. He was awarded an honorary doctorate in Dublin
(though curiously not by the University of Wales). He received the gold
medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in London. He met the American
astronomer Dorothea Klumpke on an eclipse expedition and they later
He died in 1904. A crater on the Moon has been named
Roberts to honour him (actually it is named after both Isaac Roberts and
Alexander W. Roberts, a South African astronomer, 1857-1938): it is
situated on the Far Side of the Moon, close to the lunar North Pole.
Although he lived most of his life outside Wales, and carried out his
astronomical work in England (in Birkenhead, Liverpool and Sussex), he
continued to have strong links with his native country. He therefore
commands a very prominent position in our survey of Welsh astronomers.
Isaac Roberts's photograph of the Great Andromeda
Nebula, M31, showing the spiral structure. Taken from A Selection of
Photographs of Stars, Star-clusters and Nebulae, Volume II, The
Universal Press, London, 1899.
AT Doodson. Mr Doodson is one of the individuals
responsible for the successful D Day landings on June 6th 1944. He wrote
out, by hand, tide table predictions for the landings and predicted 5th or
6th June OR not for another 28 days or 1 more lunar month. Being deaf
since the age of 19, his meticulous detail was well appreciated by the
Allied High Command. During the First World War he was a conscientious
objector, assigned the task of calculating shell trajectories to defend
London against zeppelin attack. In 1919, the war over, he went to
Liverpool and started on his life's work, tide prediction. More on link
I have no info on this building
Designs such as this magnificent celtic cross abound
|The grave of a bishop, very large celtic cross, second
image my daughter joins the image to give some idea of scale.
||The rear of the derelict CE church at Flaybrick
Strange carving of a pyramid with the image of Ra
(Sun God Egypt) in
the centre. I believe there are strong masonic influences at work in the
construction and subsequent decoration of this edifice. On the front of
the building is carved two stars of David and what looks like a masonic
emblem of crossed hammer and anchor.
Almost hidden beneath a canopy of low trees, I spotted
this hiding in the sun spangled shade. A truly excellent piece of
sculpture, untouched by either moronic vandal or weather. It lies in an
area recently reclaimed from overgrown undergrowth.
The derelict CE Church on Flaybrick Cemetery.
Picture a person, I use the term loosely, with very little in the way of
brains, a penchant for destruction and the thinking power of the amoeba
(sorry to the amoeba!) and we have today's vandal. Vandals have been at
work in Flaybrick over a period of time. It must be really "cool" to
destroy a gravestone. Criminal in itself but even more so because of the
intense history of the place.
15th April 2007: And the vandals are seemingly just
as mindless as previously described. I have taken the following images
following a swath of destruction committed by these moronic elements of
the bacteria infesting Birkenhead.
cannot understand what "fun" these idiots get from climbing into an
historic, unique cemetery, which is high on a par with Highgate in London,
and so mindlessly destroy such art work and such supposedly lasting
These were taken by my daughter, Lorna. Click on image to enlarge
Found this on this web site:
http://www.thebestof.co.uk/Wirral/10937/3/news.aspx dated 2 June 2006. Is
nothing sacred anymore?
Residents from Tollemache Road have called for urgent
action to stop the desecration of Wirral's oldest public cemetery by gangs of
violent yobs. The drunken youths congregate in the cemetery smashing up head
stones "for fun". One resident, who wished to remain anonymous for fear of
retribution said: " It's a living nightmare. For every weekend over the last
five years we have been terrorised by big gangs who vandalise the cemetery and
smash our cars. They fight in the streets, swear, drink alcohol and attack the
headstones." He added: "We're all very scared and feel as if we can't step
outside our doors without fear of being threatened. We're devastated because
it's such a beautiful cemetery and we hate seeing it vandalised, but we don't
want to confront them in case we're attacked ourselves."
The residents have appealed for help in ensuring that
Flaybrick Memorial Gardens, which was Wirral's first public cemetery and also
the final resting place of many of many famous Wirralians, is preserved. A
spokesman for Wirral Council said: "Council staff are aware of incidents of
antisocial behaviour in and around Flaybrick Memorial Gardens. Vandalism is a
continuing problem at the site. Regular meetings are held to continuously
monitor the situation involving council officers, a local councillor, the
police, the council's community patrol, representatives of the Friends of
Flaybrick Memorial Gardens and the Bidston Preservation Trust." He added: "The
area is frequently patrolled by the community patrol team and officers from
Merseyside police who have successfully reduced the incidence of vandalism and
antisocial behaviour in the area".
Some more images of Flaybrick taken on 15th April 2007
(23) A large magnificent example of a tomb in all
its gothic glory!! (24) One of the Angels in the cemetery, these are
becoming fewer and fewer due to vandalism as already reported here. (25)
The MacLeod Cross, Rev Alexander MacLeod. (26, 27) Part of the inscription
of the tomb of Issac Roberts, who helped pioneer celestial photography.
Already mentioned from a previous visit in images 2-5 above. The left
image is a galaxy, the right image unknown and the centre, in a form of
cartouche, "Heaven Within Us Is". (28) Military grave of a Royal Marine
died on (23rd?) April 1943 aged 18. (29) Vandalised windows of a
marvellous example of architecture (30). Who is going to repair such
damage? (31) Military Grave of J N Gullan, Glider pilot, who died 2
October 1942 Aged 20. (32) Possible U Boat victim of WW1. (33) Son of an
officer who was on the Victory at Trafalgar. (34) Almost encased in
growth, nice example of a Celtic cross. (35) Two children who died in a
shipwreck, the SS Orion, in June 1850. (36 37) Two close ups of the
Gargoyles on the Church at the "top" entrance.
A Walk Around Flaybrick
(1) Rev. Thomas Lydlatt.
(Black granite headstone on front row)
Few people were more widely known in Birkenhead, and indeed the greater part of
Lancashire and Cheshire, than Mr Thomas Lydiatt. He was born in Huxley, near
Tarporley, served an apprenticeship as a blacksmith,
consequently he was known in later life as, "Birkenheads Blacksmith Preacher".
He would preach in the streets and had an unusual way of attracting a crowd. He
would appear wearing a white coat and ringing a loud toned bell. For many years
he presided over enthusiastic mission meetings in Birkenhead Park, New Brighton
and Rhyl. Through his efforts a mission, which was leased from Mr John Laird,
was founded in Aberdeen Street. He went on to establish a Baptist Church in
Jackson Street, which was purchased from the Presbyterians at a cost of
£2000.00. He died following a long illness at his residence, 8 Brookland Road,
the Woodlands, on Tuesday 14 August 1900, aged 63. His funeral was attended by a
large crowd of mourners including the Mayor, Mr James Gamlin.
(2) Throughout Flaybrick there are many Publlc Graves, most can be identified
because the ground has settled leaving the outline of the graves visible. This
one is covered by two large stone slabs. Some of these graves are 30 feet deep
and hold up to 72 people. The last burial in a public grave took place in 1955.
At Flaybrick there are no new graves available, but each year about thirty
burials take place in graves for which the right of burial has already been
purchased. Since Flaybrick opened in 1864 over 100,000 interments have taken
place, 8,000 of which were in the first ten years.
(3) Below a large square
column lies the body of Isaac Roberts, a Fellow of the Royal Society. Roberts
was one of England's pioneers in the domain of celestial photography. Note the
Nebula engravings and other details at the foot of the headstone.
(4) John Richard Kaighin. (A grey granite
headstone by the wall. Author of Bygone Birkenhead. Died 26 August 1931, age 76
years. Kaighin was best known as author of the book Bygone Birkenhead, a series
of sketches based in the 1860's, which he wrote in 1925. The personal element in
this book was remarkably strong, and because of his retentive memory, he was
able to recall many incidents, and hundreds of names which remain familiar to
the present time. One of the articles mentions that the Market Hall once had a
fountain cascading in its centre. One of his boyhood memories, in January 1864,
was of hundreds of town windows blown in by the terrific explosion of gunpowder
on board the 'Lottie Sleigh', lying in the Sloyne, Rock Ferry. He died at his
residence, 82 Gorsefield Road, Birkenhead on Wednesday 26 August 1931 following
a long illness that confined him to bed for nearly three years.
(5) A White obelisk marks the grave of Charles Thompson, born in London in 1841.
He came to Birkenhead from Hanley, Staffordshire, and worked in a grocery shop.
Twenty years later he opened a shop of his own in the town.
After making his business a success he decided to devote his life to the less
fortunate and opened a meeting place for the poor of all ages. In 1891 he formed
a company and bought the former Quaker's Meeting House in Hemingford Street and
opened it as the Charles Thompson's Poor Children's Mission, where it is still
operating today. Following a short illness he died on 13 February 1903. Such was
the high esteem that he was held by the people of Birkenhead that 6,000
assembled at Flaybrick for his funeral. His daughter Annie took over as
superintendent and continued the work for over sixty years. She was awarded the
M.B.E. in 1953. Annie died in 1965 and in 1968 the mission was incorporated into
the Liverpool City Mission.
(6) Alongside the path in front of a Celtic cross, is the grave of James Taylor
Cochran (1848-1916) who built the ‘Resurgam', the worlds first mechanically
powered submarine at his Britannia Iron Works in 1879. Designed by the Reverend
George Garrett the Resurgam was 45 feet in length, 7 feet in diameter, had a
displacement of 30 tons and cost £1,397 to build. It took 30 Shire horses
to pull it the 300 yards to the Great Float where it was 'launched' on the 26
November. The submarine was steam driven using a Lamb Smokeless Steam
Generator, however, with carbon monoxide fumes leaking from the boiler and a
temperature that could exceed 110 °F with the hatch closed, conditions inside
made life very difficult for the crew. It had a top speed of 3 knots and a
cruising depth of 150 feet.
Resurgam‘s maiden voyage was to be its last. On
24 February 1880 it sank whilst being towed from Rhyl by the yacht Elphin.
Conditions on the boat were so bad that the crew had to transfer to the Elphin
and the hatch could not be sealed from the outside. The heavy seas poured down
the open hatch until the towing hawser broke and the worlds first mechanically
powered submarine sank off the Great Ormes' Head. Resurgam was discovered in
1995 and is now in the process of being raised.
(7) Alderman Frederick Smith. (A large grey granite monument) Mayor of
Birkenhead. Died 9 December 1888, age 43 years. Mr Smith was born at Chester
Street on 12 January 1845. When barely sixteen he enlisted in the Royal Regiment
of Artillery. That same year he was promoted to the rank of corporal and drafted
to India. He soon rose to the rank of sergeant, and then sergeant-major. He was
a man of many parts, not only did he do recitations in the canteen, but he also
taught French to the officers' children. Due to his father's ill health, in 1866
he purchased his discharge, returned home and started working in the family
business, 'Smith and Sons'. When Chairman of the Health Committee, he did much
to popularise Birkenhead Park, including the provision of toilets and the
building of the bandstand. He vigorously contented for the erection of the baths
in Argyle Street South, and it was under his auspices that two large wards were
added to the infectious Diseases Hospital in Livingstone Street. In 1883
he joined the Middle Temple and launched himself into a new career. He retired
from the firm 'Smith and Sons`, of which he had become the senior partner, when
he was formally called to the bar in 1886.
He was elected Mayor of Birkenhead in 1888, but died soon after taking office.
His death was not unexpected as the previous week he had been unable to attend
the funeral of his mother. He died at twenty minutes to six on Sunday Morning, 9
December 1888, at his residence, 'Roslyn', Clifton Park. His son was 'F.E.
Smith' later to become Lord Birkenhead.
(8) Robert Scott (A low coped stone, second row
in) Lost in the 'Gem Collision' on the Mersey, 26 November 1878, age 44. At
about 9:30 am Tuesday 26 November 1878 the Seacombe ferry boat ‘Gem‘ was
crossing to Liverpool in fog carrying 300 passengers when she ran into the
Bowfell, a Brocklebank ship anchored in mid stream. She slid across the side of
the ship and crossed her bows, where the jib boom of the Bowfell carried away
the steamer's funnel, which fell among the passengers, fatally injuring one
named Hodgkins. Several of the passengers got on board the Bowfell, but some
fell into the water, where one young man named Cannell was drowned and not found
until four hours later.
The Gem landed her passengers at the cattle stage. More than a dozen people lost
their lives in the incident. lf the Gem had been going full speed it is probable
that she would be lying at the bottom of the river, keeping company with the
five other vessels which had been sunk in the Mersey in the two weeks prior to
the incident. ln the discussions following this disaster, it is interesting to
note that 'a tunnel under the Mersey' was seen as the best solution to end the
ever increasing number of accidents.
(9) George Lance 1802-1864. (His headstone is carved with an artist's palette)
Lance‘s reputation as a painter rests on his luscious rendering of fruit and
flowers. Although he spent most of his life in London he was a frequent
exhibitor in Liverpool and was an honorary member of the Liverpool Academy.
Lance‘s father had served in a cavalry regiment and eloped with the artist's
mother (nee Constable) from a boarding school. Lance was born in Essex on 24
March 1802. They settled in Leeds, where Lance was put to work in a factory. A
chance meeting in the British Museum with Landseer led Lance to an
apprenticeship in his studio. Lance lived for a time in New Brighton, and his
death certificate states that he died in Liscard from Diabetes
(10) The formation of Flaybrick began in 1862 and was designed by Mr Edward Kemp
(1818-1891), the Curator of Birkenhead Park since its inception in 1843. Kemp
trained under Joseph Paxton at Chatsworth and had been his assistant when he
planned Birkenhead Park. For his work in the park he was paid £2150 per annum.
From 1845-1860 he lived in the Italian Lodge, then he moved to 74 Park Road
(11) The first interment, a temporary one, was made on 17 November 1863, before
the cemetery was officially opened. The body of Francis Menon, a local iron
merchant who laid the foundation stone at Flaybrick, was buried in unconsecrated
ground. On completion of the works in 1864 his remains were re-interred in this
specially prepared vault.
(12) The Two Main Chapels (Church of England on the right side of the tower and
Nonconformist on the left) are listed buildings and were last used in 1975.
Sadly, since the early 1980's these once magnificent buildings have fallen into
a state of disrepair and are now surrounded by a steel fence to protect them and
keep the public out of that part of the cemetery.
(13) The Sword Of Sacrifice in front of the chapels is dedicated to men lost in
the First World War. lt is made of Cornish Granite and is identical to others in
France, ltaly, Macedonia, Palestine, Egypt and East Africa. lt was unveiled by
(14) The first person to be buried ln the Church
of England Section was Ann Woodcock. Ann died on the 5 August 1884, aged 45.
(15 & 21) Edward Kemp was assisted in laying out
Flaybrick by Messrs Lucy and Littler, architects of Liverpool. Charles Lucy and
Charles Littler died aged 39 and 36 respectively, shortly after the cemetery
opened and are buried close to one another. A tablet was erected to their memory
with the memorial, "ln the midst of life we are in death."
(16) The Section CE 7B contains some of the ‘Fathers' of Birkenhead. Clearly the
most imposing monument in this section belongs to Sir Wllllam Jackson (Bart)
1805-1876. Sir William was born in Warrington on 28 April 1805, and incidentally
was the seventh son of a seventh son. With the exception of John Laird he was
possibly the most influential of Birkenhead's founding fathers. From 1839 he
invested his considerable fortune and energies in the purchase of land and the
development of Birkenhead. lt was Sir William that originally proposed the idea
of a public park and it was largely through his efforts that in 1843 an act of
parliament allowed the building of Birkenhead Park. The park was designed by Sir
Joseph Paxton who had previously designed Crystal Palace, and was later used as
the basis of the plan for Central Park in New York. Despite his many years of
interest in 'the city of the future' in his later years Sir William resided in
London. He died on the 31 January 1878 aged 70, and was buried here in the
family Vault. Nearby can be seen the resting place of many members of (17) The
Laird Family and (18) William Hind.
(17) John Laird grandson of William, and son of John, was Birkenhead's A
first mayor in 1877. He served a second term of office in 1885. ln 1887 he
performed the opening ceremony of the present Town Hall when his
brother Wllllam Lalrd (1831-1899) was serving his second term as mayor. lt was
because of their efforts that Laird's expanded the way it did. lt was
whilst 'the yard' was under their control that in 1863 the notorious
"Alabama" was built. The vessel was built as a fast Merchantman for the
Confederates during the American Civil War. At that time it was illegal to
supply any foreign warring faction with arms or any materials of war. All manner
of attempts were made to prevent her delivery which was eventually achieved by
her not returning to Birkenhead after her sea trials. She sailed to the Azores,
where a Confederate crew took over and was
equipped and armed as a vessel of war. ln a short but eventful career, she
captured or sunk 67 sailing ships and one steamer. She was finally sunk off the
coast of Cherbourg in June 1864 by the USS Kearsage.
(18) For fourteen years William Hind was a member of the Birkenhead
Commissioners, and for six of those years he presided as chairman. He ceased to
be a Commissioner in 1868 and soon afterwards the inhabitants of Birkenhead
entertained him at a public banquet, presided over by Mr John Laird M.P. and
presented him with a valuable service of plate He was one of a small group
consisting of Mr Laird, Mr George Rae, Mr Maurice Mocatta which for a long while
had control of Birkenhead’s affairs. When the financial affairs of the town were
in a lamentable state he and his brother, Mr John Hartley Hind advanced a large
sum of money to the Board of Commissioners to meet the claims of the bondholders
who threatened to sell Woodside Ferry and the Ferry Steamers which enabled
Birkenhead to retrieve its position.
(19) The Williamson Art Gallery was officially opened to the public on 1
December 1928. The population of Birkenhead and its visitors now had access to a
spacious, purpose built museum that could house its art and local history. lt
was made possible by the generosity of John Wllllamson J.P. (1829-1915) a
director of the Cunard Steamship C0. Ltd. and his son Patrick. ‘The Williamson'
consists of 14 exhibition galleries and a sculpture hall. lt is open Friday —
Sunday, telephone 0151 652 4177 for opening hours.
(20) Lewis Hornblower 1823-1879, was the architect appointed to supervise the
building of the lodges, fences and all mechanical work in the construction of
Birkenhead Park, for which he was paid £2.2.0d per week. He designed the
boathouse, bridges, railings, gates and the Grand Entrance.
(22 & 27) Fourteen men lost their lives in 'The Birkenhead Dock 'Disaster' of
1909 and their remains are buried in three graves. On 6 March at 12:30 am,
strong winds combined with a high spring tide caused a coffer dam to collapse
killing 14 workmen, who were excavating for the Vittoria Dock, 40ft below the
surface. Two men and a boy escaped.
(23) Mary Mercer was Birkenhead’s first woman Mayor and also its first woman
Alderman. She was born in Newport, Shropshire. Her father died when she was
three years old and consequently, as she often confessed, "saw the rough side of
life as a child". Mary was elected to Birkenhead Town Council for Argyle Ward in
November 1919, and chosen to be the first woman Mayor of the borough in November
1924. During her year of office she unveiled the War Memorial in Hamilton Square
and a Great Stone in Birkenhead Upper Park.
(24) The Catholic Chapel was demolished in 1971,
now a stone monumental wall with three sculptured faces marks its site.
(25) The War Memorials
(26) Catherine Ah Tam and her youngest daughter Cecilia were buried on the
morning of Monday 7 December 1925. Doris an elder sister was buried on 28
January 1926 in the same grave. They were all victims of the most tragic and
sensational shooting affairs of the period, later known as the 'Ah Tam Murders‘
In the early hours of Tuesday 1 December 1925, Lock Ah Tam, aged 52, of 122
Price Street, a respected member of the community, shot and killed his 42 year
old wife, his 17 year old daughter and mortally wounded his eldest daughter aged
19. The police were alerted by neighbours and quickly surrounded the house. Mr
AhTam admitted the police to his house, Catherine was found in the kitchen lying
in · a pool of blood, Cecilia and Doris were discovered lying on the scullery
floor. All three had horrendous wounds to their heads and necks. Doris, who was
still alive was taken to the Borough Hospital where she later died of her
wounds. "My son is the cause of the whole trouble" Ah Tam said at the inquest,
and added "My wife has not a kind word for me". Ah Tam was sent for trial at the
Chester Assizes and was defended by the ‘ eminent lawyer Sir Edward Marshall
Hall K.C. Despite a plea of insanity, and evidence that the accused was the
subject to epileptic attacks, Ah Tam was found guilty by the jury in just 15
minutes. The judge "was much moved in pronouncing sentence of death". Ah Tam was
executed and buried in prison.
Corresponding Map with numbering
as seen in text